Sam is responsible for leading our health care team to assist our clients in understanding their vision and goals, develop a strategic approach and organize the resources of Mercer and its partners in helping the client succeed. Sam has been a consultant for over 17 years and has successfully assisted clients in launching new initiatives or improving program fiscal integrity in Medicaid Managed Care, Long–Term Care (LTC) planning and budgeting, Hospital Rate Setting and Financing, Rebalancing, LTC Payment Reform, Self Determination, Health Exchanges and Person-Centered Planning.
Sam has worked in over 21 states and managed engagements ranging from two to 30 participating consultants, with program related fees under advisement ranging from $500M to $6B annually. As of 2015, Sam has also successfully completed the coursework and testing required to become a Certified Healthcare Reform Specialist.
Some of Sam’s accomplishments include:
- Serving as the strategic leader for a State who is interested in pursuing an initiative weaving funding streams to create a program that addressed the Social Determinants of Health.
- Assisted Connecticut and Washington with their State Innovation Model initiatives with agency operations, initial planning, multi-payer strategies, shared savings methodologies and payment.
- Serving as a strategist to Pennsylvania’s Medicaid program on the development of its Home and Community Based Services and long-term living waivers and associated systems of care.
- Conducting strategic analyses of state-wide health care reform and estimating cost impact to the state, employers and individuals.
- Providing expertise to the New Jersey Division of Aging and Community Resources on quantifying the benefit of Aging and Disability Resource Centers.